Pre & Post Operative Instructions New York
To help you prepare for surgery:
During you consultation you should be very open; provide your entire medical history and list all of the medications, vitamins, and herbs you are taking (even if you don’t think they’re important).
Here are some tips that may help you shorten your recovery time and decrease your chances of complications.
- Discontinue using Aspirin (including medications that contain Aspirin), Ibuprofen, Naprosyn, St. John’s Wort, Vitamin E and other supplements as directed. These act as blood thinners and could cause excessive bruising, bleeding or other complications. We will give you a complete list of medications and herbal supplements to avoid prior to your procedure
- Stop smoking for at least two weeks before and one week after surgery, as nicotine can impair circulation and healing.
- Don’t drink alcohol in excess for two week before your liposculpturing procedure and one week after the surgery.
- Drink lots of water in the days leading up to your liposculpturing procedure.
To make your recovery easier and more comfortable be sure to:
- Arrange for someone to take you home and take care of you for at least the first day. For out of town, national and international patients, private nursing care, private recovery centers and hotel accommodations can be made through our office.
- Fill your prescriptions and place them within easy reach of where you will be resting.
You should expect some bruising, swelling and pain after your procedure. Swelling may linger for as long as two to four weeks. Pain medication will be prescribed to control any discomfort, however, if you begin to have severe pain, contact us immediately. Note that the pain medications can cause constipation (it is the most common complaint) and you should use a stool softener such as colace, drink plenty of fluids, and eat fruits and vegetables to help to keep the stools soft. Apply ice packs to the labia off and on for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling. Make sure that you take all medications as prescribed.
The recovery process is different for everyone, but within a day after your LRL, you should be up and walking around. You may shower on the second or third day following surgery. No tub baths for four weeks. Refrain from thong underwear and tight fitting clothing for four weeks. You may need to be out of work and away from your usual activities for the first week. Over the next two or three weeks your treated areas may remain very sensitive and strenuous physical activities should be limited. Following this period you may gradually return to activities such as lifting, and light exercise. Avoid any high impact activities for about one month. In particular you should avoid jogging and bouncing activities for up to six weeks. Remember, intense exercise not only diverts blood flow, but muscle recovery time prolongs surgical recovery time. These procedures will help you avoid stress to your treated areas and allow time to heal and recover. Sex may be resumed in six weeks.