Vaginal Surgery and Your Experience with Your Surgeon
When choosing to pursue vaginal surgery (e.g., labiaplasty, other Designer Laser Vaginoplasty®, or Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation®), often the greatest emphasis is placed on the outcome of the surgery. While the outcome should not be minimized, as it is very important, it is also important to consider the experience as a patient when choosing your surgeon. Specifically, consider your experience during the entire process of surgery—from your early research and decision-making process, to your surgical consult, to your surgical date, and even to follow-up appointments after your surgery. Often, a better experience with your doctor is associated with better outcomes. Some relevant points to consider in evaluation your experience:
Was reception cold and remote, or warm and comfortable?
- Were your questions answered or did you leave feeling that there was so much more you wanted to know?
- Did you feel rushed during your appointment, or did you felt as though you had enough time to express your desires, concerns and questions thoughtfully?
- Was your doctor engaged with you (e.g., eye contact)? Did you feel as though he/she heard you and truly understood you and your case?
- Was the experience comfortable, or did it feel awkward or mechanical?
- Do you perceived the doctor and his/her staff to be approachable? Sufficiently so that you can approach them with additional questions at any time (e.g., post-surgical questions, or even routine gynecological questions?